A health coach is a trained professional who works with individuals to help them achieve and maintain optimal health and well-being. Health coaches typically provide guidance, support, and education to help their clients make positive changes in their lifestyles, habits, and behaviors that promote good health.
- Help clients set realistic and achievable health goals.
- Create customized health plans based on individual needs and goals.
- Provide education and information about healthy behaviors and evidence-based practices.
- Offer ongoing support and motivation to clients.
- Use the person’s own insight to make the desired changes to help clients overcome barriers and establish healthy habits.
- Track clients’ progress toward their health goals and adjust plans as needed.
- May collaborate with other healthcare professionals to provide holistic care and support.
How does a Health Coach help clients?
Often people can have long-term health issues that they are trying to fix, and they might need or want additional help, guidance, or a mentor to get through it. This can be especially true for chronic issues; time with a doctor might be limited or out of reach. A health coach can help fill that gap by providing personalized guidance, education, motivation, and support to achieve their health goals.
Health coaches start by learning and exploring each client’s health history and health problems. They work with clients to set realistic goals, create customized health plans, and develop strategies to overcome barriers and establish healthy habits.
Health coaches provide ongoing support and accountability, monitor clients’ progress, and adjust plans as needed. They may collaborate with other healthcare professionals to provide holistic care and empower clients to take control of their health and well-being.
A health coach acts as a partner and guides the client’s health journey, helping them make positive changes and improve their overall well-being.
Health Coaching Involves:
- Building Relationships with clients
- Identifying patient issues
- Understanding where each patient is in their health story
- Developing goals with the patient
- Empowering patients to reach their goals
What career opportunities are there for Health Coaches?
- Private practice
- Corporate wellness programs
- Healthcare facilities
- Wellness centers
- Health and wellness coaching programs
- Online platforms
- Healthcare insurance companies
How do I get started in Health Coaching?
Health coaching can be its own career, or it can supplement your existing career as a licensed health and wellness professional.
As a stand-alone career, licensed health coaches must become experts on information relevant to either general or specialty concerns. A typical scenario is someone who has overcome their own health challenges and found approaches that worked for them. They can help others with similar challenges.
Becoming an expert can involve obtaining additional training through various training and certification programs.
Those who are already experts, like Registered Nurses and other licensed health professionals, can leverage their existing knowledge and expand on it to better help clients. In this path, adding Holistic Health Coaching is a natural progression.
Message us at any time to schedule a free consultation.
We’re not salespeople. We’re just excited about sharing the future of nursing with you.